Short Breaks Funds

Wee Break Midlothian is administering a Short Breaks Fund at the moment. Details about the fund can be found below:

Short Breaks Fund for adult carers.  This fund is supported through Midlothian Council and Shared Care Scotland and is designed to give unpaid carers a break from their caring role.

You can apply for anything that would give you a break from your caring role, for example equipment to allow you to continue your hobbies or hiring someone to spend time with the person you care for while you go to a class or group.

Please check below to see if you are eligible to apply:

  • The person you care for lives in Midlothian and IS NOT in long term care
  • You can demonstrate that you are not able to fund the break yourself and are willing to provide a breakdown of household income/expenditure, if necessary.
  • Social Services cannot fund the break
  • The break will give you time off from your caring role as the main carer for a friend or family member
  • You have been referred to VOCAL from a practitioner and discussed how a break will benefit you

More detailed information about the eligibility criteria can be found in the Short Breaks Guidance Notes.

Applications will be considered by a panel on the last Wednesday of every month.  Applications must be submitted no later than 4pm on the Monday prior to the panel meeting.   If successful, monies will be transferred to you directly within 28 days of the panel meeting and you must submit receipts of how monies were spent within four weeks of your break. Please note we cannot fund breaks which have been booked and paid for prior to panel approval.

Apply Now


All information on this site is provided to the best of our knowledge but please call the organisation involved for more details.

VOCAL Midlothian Carers Centre, 30/1 Hardengreen Estate, Dalhousie Road, Dalkeith, EH22 3NX. Telephone 0131 663 6869. E Email –  Scottish Charity: SC020755 Company registration: SC183050. Accessibility | Copyright & image credits | Privacy statement | Complaints policy | Disclaimer